Monday, June 13, 2011

Episode 18: The Prodigal

Yeah! Let's rock out this third recap in a day shall we? I got all the dishes and laundry done so my lady can't get mad at me for being a bum when she gets home from work. I've been very productive.

So we open on an adorable scene with Gabby playing the flute... or reed pipes? Whatever the official name for this instrument is. Xena looks equal parts annoyed, amused, and adoring. Also, a little like she's checking out Gabby's ass as she dances. Just saying.

Now a bunch of boring plot happens. Blerg. That plot is always getting in the way of my subtext! I kid, I kid. Anyways, Gabrielle is all upset with herself because she froze/panicked when some baddies were attacking.

She has a bit of a struggle coming to terms with this. Basically she FREAKS out for no good reason. She's all, "I froze and I might have put you in danger and I'm a liability, waaaaaah". Okay, okay, so not that whiny, but come on! Xena is telling you it's fine and she obviously doesn't want you to leave! Xena's sad face as she watches Gabby walking away is so SAD!

So, Gabrielle leaves Xena for NO GOOD REASON and goes back to her home town to try and sort out her issues. This is another "Where's Xena?" episode. Boo I say!

In order to put me in a better mood I am going to do this shameless screen cap which could be interpreted in different ways. Is it Xena saving Gabby from being crushed by a wagon? OR is it the tail end of a snogging fest? I'm just putting it out there.

Okay, moving on. The montage of Gabrielle trying to hitch a ride GLORIOUS.

Boring plot stuff is happening. Basically, there's an army about to destroy Gabby's home town and they have hired some warrior named Meleager the Mighty to help protect them. Problem is, he's less mighty and more a big old drunkard. So he's pretty useless. There's some parallel here with the warrior guy and Gabby because he lost his nerve in the middle of a battle and that's when he started drinking. Basically, they are going to learn from each other. Whatever, as long as it makes Gabby go back to Xena I'm on board.

So, obviously Gabby has picked up quite a bit from traveling with Xena because she is able to pull off some pretty impressive army stopping shenanigans, and get the wayward Meleager back in line. Gabby gains confidence in herself and saves her town, YAY! Now get back to your lady!!

On her way back to find Xena, she gets cornered by the same baddies from the beginnning of the episode (the parallels abound). This time though, she kicks butt and FLIES over a wagon! Well, she uses her staff to catapult her over, but it defies the laws of physics so I'm going with FLIES! Go Gabby!

Of course, now the baddies want to take her down with swords. Luckily Xena is there to step in and take over. Gabby is all, "You know, it's kind of funny that we just ran into each other, you know, here?" Xena's like, "Not really." She was on her way to visit Gabby and check in on her. Awwww, so cute! Like Xena was going to let Gabby leave. Nope! That's her sidekick/lady love!

Well, that's all for today!

*Meleager the Mighty, the generally tipsy and carousing Warrior-For-Hire, was not harmed during the production of this motion picture.*

1 comment:

  1. Haha I’m glad we skipped past all the home alone shenanigans in Gabby’s town and straight to the reunion. That’s what I was waiting for the whole time too

    ReplyDelete